Apply for a Grant
Any Saco teacher may submit an application, and any student, teacher, administrator or community member may join as a co-applicant. Funded projects must be carried out in alignment with the Saco school system and have approval of the principal of each involved school.
Grants are focused in two areas:
- enrichment programs for students
- professional training and development programs for teachers
Preference is given to projects that:
- incorporate one or more components of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math)
- involve direct, hands-on student participation
- involve a large number of students or impact a significant portion of the student body
- enhance the school objectives
- generate income or are funded in part by the participants
- result in a product that exhibits lessons learned and provides longer-term value
- are project-based, career-oriented, and communication-intensive
- provide immediate feedback
- involve creative problem solving, critical thinking, teamwork, self-directed work, and self-assessment
- develop a global perspective
- encourage leadership and creativity from teachers and administrators
- are not funded by the schools’ operating budget
Grant amounts vary and are determined based on perceived program quality, funds needed, funds available, and the number of competing applications received. Every effort is made to distribute grants equitably to all Saco schools. Unfortunately, it will not be possible for us to provide feedback for non-funded projects.
Successful grant recipients are asked to assist in publicizing their projects to parents, teachers, and to the public. Upon completion of the project, we ask that grant recipients provide a reflection summarizing lessons learned, additional benefits gained, and publicity plans.
Grant recipients are requested to include the following information in any newsletter, permission slip, newspaper article, etc: “This project is made possible (in whole or in part) by a grant from Saco STEAM.”
- All grant requests must be submitted online through our Grant Application form.
- All applications will be reviewed by the Grant Committee who makes a recommendation to the Board of Directors to make the final determination.
Applicants may be asked to clarify responses through further written or in-person questions from the Grant Committee and/or Board.
For Additional Information
If you have questions, please contact us.